Monday, 25 March 2013

Cauliflower Crust Pizza- Low Carb & Gluten Free

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

So I have been in full-time school since September and life has been hectic to say the least! This is my last year of undergrad, so grades really count... therefore, I have not had time to post here in a long time :( 

I will be posting whenever I can, but not as regularly as in the summer. Anyways... to the recipe!!!





Now you can have your pizza and eat it too!!! Even when you're on a low-carb diet.

This pizza is incredibly delicious even though it has NO flour!! I have seen the cauliflower crust pizza recipe circulating around the internet for a long time now, so I am not sure who invented it... but this is my take on it. I have made it several times, and this combination of ingredients works best for me! 



As for toppings, you can add whatever you want! Here I added onions, green peppers, turkey sausage, and cheese :) It was absolutely to die for!!! As long as you squeeze most of the liquid from the pureed cauliflower before baking, you will get a very authentic tasting crust. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention the best part... one serving is 
HALF THE ENTIRE PIZZA :D



Cauliflower Crust Pizza

(Serves 2)

Ingredients:
  • 1 head cauliflower, boiled and drained
  • 30g (about a 3cm cube) low-fat cheese (I used light marble cheese)
  • 1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute 
  • 3/4 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Whatever desired toppings (I used 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 60g shredded cheese, 1/4 green pepper, 1 tbs onion, and 2 turkey sausages)
Method: 
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and spray a pan with PAM
  2. Place cauliflower into food processor or blender (if you do not have either, mashing would also do the trick). Blend until mashed potato consistency.
  3. Drain ***VERY WELL***. This step is extremely important. To drain, I placed the cauliflower on paper-towel and squeezed until very little liquid was left. 
  4. In a medium bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients into the cauliflower. Spred onto greased pan until about 1/4 inch thick. 
  5. Bake in oven about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and top with desired toppings. 
  6. Place back into oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling. Enjoy!
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (for 1/2 the entire recipe):
Just the crust (For 1 serving- 1/2 the pizza):
  • Calories- 115
  • Carbohydrates- 9g
    • Sugar- 7g
    • Fiber- 7g
  • Fat- 2g
  • Protein- 12g
The crust, including the toppings pictured (For 1 serving- 1/2 the pizza):
  • Calories- 239
  • Carbohydrates- 17g
    • Sugar- 11g
    • Fiber- 9g
  • Fat- 6g
  • Protein- 27g

1 comment:

  1. Hey nice post
    Would you like to follow each other.. !!!
    Keep in touch
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete