I love using my Crock Pot for easy meals when I don't feel like using the "hands-on" approach of cooking. It took me about 10 min of prep time for this recipe... can a delicious homemade dinner be much simpler than that?
This is a protein packed, high fiber meal that is also low-fat! The corn and beans create a delightful contrast in texture to the other ingredients. Also, the slow cooked chicken is so juicy and tender, it falls apart with little effort.
You can adjust the spice to suit any family member. If there are different preferences, prepare it mild, then add more spice individually.
Santa Fe Slow-Cooker Chicken Wraps
Makes 10 servings (about 3/4 cup each)
- 10 low-fat tortillas (80 calories each)
- 3 chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
- 14 oz can plain diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 14oz can whole corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- cayenne powder to taste (I added about 1/2 teaspoon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- enough fat-free chicken broth to just cover the chicken breasts (I used about 1/2 of a 24oz carton)
- Pour tomatoes, black beans, corn, jalapeño, onion, garlic, and spices into the slow-cooker; stir until combined.
- Place the chicken breasts into the slow-cooker and pour chicken broth over until they are just covered. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 6 hours.
- After cooking, shred chicken and transfer contents of slow-cooker to a large pot. Turn heat to high and reduce until desired moistness. I like mine less liquidy (I know this isn't a word), so I reduced it for about 10-15 min until the majority of the liquid was evaporated.
- Serve in tortillas with desired toppings. I used fat-free plain Greek yogurt, salsa, and low-fat shredded cheese.
(1 serving: 1 tortilla and about 3/4 cup filling)
- 170 Calories
- 30g Carbohydrates
- 2g Sugar
- 6g Fiber
- 2g Fat
- 10g Protein