Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Angel Eggs




Miracle Whip or Mayo? Everyone seems to have their opinion on the matter. Personally, I don't mind the flavor of either... but my boyfriend has a strong aversion to the flavor of Miracle Whip. I found that out the hard way while making this recipe. 


I tasted my first batch and was very happy with the results! Mark did not feel the same... he looked at me oddly and asked what I put into the recipe. He did not have an impressed look on his face, so I knew he didn't like it. When I told him the ingredients, he looked at me with horror that I would put Miracle Whip into anything.


Long story short, I remade the recipe with Hellmann's Mayonnaise. He was very happy with the results... success! 


I thought both versions tasted great. In fact, I think I liked the Miracle Whip version better. Choose your personal favorite when making this recipe :)


I replaced most of the yolks in this recipe with nonfat cottage cheese. The results were still creamy and decadently delicious!




Angel Eggs

Makes 12 servings (1/2 egg each)
Ingredients:
  • 6 eggs, hard boiled and cooled*
  • 3 tablespoons nonfat cottage cheese
  • 1 tablespoon fat free mayo
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • small amount of paprika and dried dill for topping
Method:
  • Cut each egg in half. Discard all but 4, 1/2 yolks (2 whole yolks). Place the kept yolks, cottage cheese, mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper into a food processor (I used my magic bullet). Process until smooth.
  • Place filling into the corner of a ziplock bag. Cut the corner off and use like a piping bag to fill each egg half with filling. Garnish with paprika and dill if desired. Can refrigerate for up to 1 day in advance.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
(For 1 serving (1/2 egg + filling))
  • 21 Calories
  • 1g Carbohydrates
    • 0g Sugar
    • 0g Fiber
  • 1g Fat
  • 3g Protein

2 comments: