Quinoa (keen-wa) is actually a seed that we cook and use like a grain. Vegetarians and vegans should definitely give this recipe a try, as quinoa is a source of complete protein. A complete protein contains all nine essential amino acids that your body requires to preform basic functions... hence the word "essential".
I use quinoa in many different ways. Turkey quinoa meatloaf is quite tasty, as is quinoa pudding (tastes similar to rice pudding). Hot, cold, or room temperature, I like it all ways!
You can use whatever vegetables you happen to have on-hand for this recipe. Additionally, you can play around with different dressings/flavors to suite your taste.
Quinoa Summer Salad
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup red quinoa, uncooked (may substitute with different colors of quinoa)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thin
- 3 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1 large carrot, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons fat-free Italian dressing (or whatever you prefer)
- Rinse quinoa very well, place in medium saucepan with 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 15-20 min. All the water should be absorbed/evaporated.
- Toss cooled quinoa, bell pepper, celery, onion, carrot, and dressing. Serve cold.
(For 1/6th of the recipe)
- Calories- 131
- Carbohydrates- 25g
- Sugar- 3g
- Fiber- 3g
- Fat- 2g
- Protein- 4g