Fried cheese is ssoo good, but all the fat and calories make it hard to fit into a healthy diet. My version is baked instead of fried, saving a ton of extra calories and fat.
My breaded and baked mozzarella sticks make a perfect appetizer paired with marinara sauce, low-fat ranch, or even jalapeño jelly for dipping. I used light string cheese and added cayenne pepper to create my own spin on this American pub favorite.
|Look at how gooey and stringy the cheese is.... perfection!|
Baked Gooey Cheese Sticks
(Makes 12 servings, 2 sticks per serving)
- 12 light string cheese sticks
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons panko crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian spices
- nonstick cooking spray
- Cut each cheese string in half, creating 24 equal pieces. Place all the pieces on a plate and freeze for approx. 1 hour, or until frozen.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites. On a small dish, spread out the flour. In another small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, panko, cayenne, and Italian spices.
- Dip each frozen cheese stick into the flour, then egg whites, then breadcrumb mixture. Be sure to tap off excess flour before dipping into the egg mixture. Place the breaded sticks onto a parchment paper (or aluminium foil) lined baking sheet and freeze until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat the tops of the sticks with cooking spray, then bake for 3-4 min per side. You want each side to be crisp and lightly browned, but you do not want the cheese to bubble out everywhere.
1 serving = 2 cheese sticks:
- 78 Calories
- 4g Carbohydrates
- 3g Sugar
- 0g Fiber
- 3g Fat
- 9g Protein