Friday, 25 May 2012

Oven-Baked Apple and Banana Chips






The homemade fruit leather I made yesterday turned out so great, so I decided to try dehydrating other fruits in the oven. I am playing around with a few different combinations (apple cinnamon and strawberry banana to name a couple).




I have always loved banana chips and ESPECIALLY apple chips. Now that I know I can use my oven like a dehydrator, I came to the realization that I can make apple and banana chips at home!






Most banana chips are fried in oil. Baking them in an oven makes it possible to avoid the fat and calories associated with frying. Also, it allows you to have complete control of the ingredients added... no preservatives or additives here!!




Oven-Baked Apple and Banana Chips

(8 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium apples
  • 2 medium bananas, ripe (but not spotted)
  • juice of 2 lemons
  • any additional toppings you may want (e.g., cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, etc.), optional
  • non-stick spray, optional
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 170 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, spray with non-stick spray if desired. Fill a large bowl with cold water and the juice of 2 lemons. 
  • Wash apples, core them (I used a melon baller for this), and slice paper thin using a very sharp knife or a mandolin. Place them in the bowl of water/lemon to keep from turning brown. Peel bananas, cut thin (about an 1/8th of an inch), and place in water/lemon as well. 
  • Place apples and bananas in a single layer on baking sheets, sprinkle with toppings if desired (I added a tiny bit of cinnamon to the apples). Bake about 3 hours, or until crispy and lightly browned. 

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
(for 1/8th of the recipe, or 1/2 an apple and 1/2 a banana)
  • 44 Calories
  • 12g Carbohydrates
    • 7g Sugar
    • 2g Fiber
  • 0g Fat
  • 1g Protein

No comments:

Post a Comment